DVD Beaver Listserv Top 20
I’ve participated in the DVDBeaver listserv since its inception. In fact, Gary Tooze created the list when several of us who posted frequently in the Movies section of the Home Heater Forum decided that we needed a place to talk privately about foreign and art films. The list has grown over the years and is now something that we’re all quite proud of. Gary’s remarkable index of reviews and region comparisons has also become an indispensable resource for DVD enthusiasts.
Recently, Gary and another member invited each of us to submit a Top 20 to YMDB. Our lists were compiled, numbers were crunched, and a spreadsheet spat out the following: a DVD Beaver Listserv Top 20.
- Ordet (Carl-Theodor Dreyer, 1955)
- Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
- Sunrise (FW Murnau, 1927)
- Tokyo Story (Ozu Yasujiro, 1953)
- Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1975)
- Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
- 8 1/2 (Federico Fellini, 1963)
- Trois couleurs: Bleu (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993)
- Dekalog (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1988)
- Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
- The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
- Au Hasard Balthazar (Robert Bresson, 1966)
- In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-Wei, 2000)
- The 400 Blows (Francois Truffaut, 1959)
- Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)
- L’Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960)
- Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1969)
- Céline and Julie Go Boating (Jacques Rivette, 1974)
- Woman in the Dunes (Teshigahara Hiroshi, 1964)
It’s too heavily weighted with Tarkovsky, Bergman, and Kieslowski films, but otherwise I think it’s a pretty solid list. I guess I need to track down a copy of Woman in the Dunes.